Well WOWEE and golly gosh! Karen, over at the super delightful blog ‘Mixture43′ ( http://mixture43.com/ ) has nominated me for a Leibster Award! Isn’t that exciting?!
In all honesty, it was a good few months ago now, but a) I’m so busy just lately, and b) I’ve been working on this post for quite a while now because I really wanted to do it justice.
So, the first part of this post, is to answer some questions that Karen listed that she’d like me to share…
My 11 questions from Mixture43:
1. When and why did you start to craft (crochet, knit, sew, make?)
This is a difficult one to answer really because I’ve had a go at most things crafty over the years! I’ve always been of the arty persuasion, but my first foray into ‘grown up’ crafting was card making. I started going to classes at my local craft shop after I’d had Mini Moo, just to get out a bit and to meet new people. I really enjoyed it, but in time found that it was more about composition and piecing pre made elements together, where I prefer to create things with less boundaries.
I moved on then, to ATC creating and swapping, and this also led me to zentangles and also back to just plain pencil sketching like we had to do for art a level!
Pencil sketch “Down the Plughole”.
Pencil sketch “Steam Train Wheel”.
William Morris inspired zentangle.
Acrylic paint on card. This was attached to an envelope as mail art.
Acrylic paint ATC
I had been trying to learn to crochet on and off for years with no success. Various people had tried to show me, and various library books had been studied and discarded in a strop. Then at a craft event at church one day, there was a lady crocheting a shawl in a really grim variegated yarn. Her mum, who was also a member of the congregation, was chatting to me and commented that she was self taught. And I looked at this ugly shawl, and this crocheting lady, and I just thought “if she can do it, I can do it, and I can make it a darn sight nicer!” And so I came home, got on YouTube, and the rest is history!
2. What are your favourite colour combinations?
My favourite colour combo as you may have gathered, is a rainbow. I love rainbows! Aside from that, I am very hard pushed to select another two because I am so inspired by colours all the time. Have a peek at my colour schemes board on Pinterest for a zillion I’ve picked out ( http://www.pinterest.com/loopyfreak/colour-schemes/ ) and in the meantime here’s a smaller selection for you to Feast your eyes on!
3. What have been the last 3 things you have made?
The last three things I have made are Little Trons jumper….
a canvas for our wall……
and a baby mobile!!
4. What would be your dream holiday destination and why?
I suppose at present, some kind of all singing all dancing hotel resort where the kids will have a great time, and there is also some sort of kids club and crèche and baby sitting service on an evening!
However, speaking completely selfishly, I have always always always wanted to visit Russia. I don’t know why, I just have a fascination about it. I’d love to see the room where the murder of Rasputin began, and also Tolstoys birthplace. And the wilds of Siberia!
I’d also love to be able to take a year to travel around USA. I’d like to visit every single state and really see the country properly. I pour over my ‘Stephen Fry in America’ book- I’d love to be able to do what he did!
5. What is your favourite food?
I love food. Seriously, I am the dress size to prove it. However, my absolute favourite food is… Salad! I know, it’s ridiculous that someone who loves salad as much as I do, is so fat! But i do. I love love love salad. I’m quite picky how I make them, I like to chop the ingredients up quite small, so that with each mouthful I get a nice variety of flavours, and I usually like to include a small amount of a fruit aswell, and a crispy element like dried onion or croutons. While I’m dieting, perhaps I should get super experimental with salad making and then share my recipes with y’all.
6. Who do you most admire – past or present?
Gosh, these questions are very tricky! … I admire many many people, for many different reasons, and I feel as if there is a great weight on this question to do it justice!
So, I am going to go for someone who has come to my attention more recently; who I have only recently learnt about.
Princess Alice of Greece. I watched a documentary about her just the other day on 4OD. If you didn’t realise, she was Prince Phillip’s mother. What an inspirational lady!
She lived with a disability (she was deaf) and battled mental illness her whole life, in a time when there were not the healthcare options available today. During the Second World War, when it became clear that the Jews were being rounded up and removed, she went straight out and found her Jewish friend and their family, and hid them in the attics of where she lived. And then in her later life, despite everybody’s scoffing at her religious dedication, she founded a religious order and dedicated her life to charity.
The sort of Lady that every little girl should learn about.
7. Who would be at your dream dinner party?
Another tricky one! Well, on one hand, I could list a fantasy dinner party guest list for you no problem;
Phoebe Buffay from Friends.
However, I have to say that I love sitting down at the end of the day, to dinner with my family. It’s a bit crazy with all six of us, but its absolute perfection.
8. What advice would you give your 10 year old self?
My advice to my ten year old self, crikey…. Life improves so hang in there! It will take time and strength, but it will, and you CAN do it. And appreciate your family, who you grumble about so much, because you won’t have them forever.
9. If you could live in any country which one would it be and why?
I would love to live in USA, because it’s such a diverse country. If I could chose anywhere though, I would probably go for a Scandinavian country as I think they have the right approach to life.
10. What would be your favourite film?
I don’t have one favourite film, but I can give a list of a few I love!
We are currently watching (currently, as in, we’ve got half way through and have to go back to it because it’s such an epic!) Cleopatra.
It’s absolutely amazing. I watched a documentary about the making of it as well, and the fact that it even got made is a miracle! Perhaps it’s because I’m a girl with a thing for older men, but I love the way Caesar (played awesomely by Rex Harrison) at the beginning keeps calling Cleopatra (obviously played by the legend that is Liz Taylor) ‘young lady’! It’s so sexy! “Now listen to me young lady, you need to learn some respect!” I love it!
11. What will your next project (s) be?
My next project is a holiday one. I’m taking my Lucy pack which I’ve kept squirrelled away, to Cornwall with us and I intend to make the sampler throw for the Crochet Crowd’s Summer Stitchcation! Happy days!
(Edit to add, since writing this, I have in fact now finished this project, so there’s a TAH-DAH on the way soon!)
And now, it is customary to tell you 11 random facts about myself.
1. I love Dad’s Army. I can’t help it I just DO!
2. I have completed one module of an Open University degree several years ago. I am hoping to return to it soon!
3. When I was a teenager I used to dream about running away from home and working in the theatre.
4. When I was in Sixth Form and had free lessons in the afternoon, my friend Michelle and I used to leave college early and have lunch in Yates’. We’d get a bit tipsy, roll home in a taxi and then watch the South Park movie, singing along to all the songs!
5. I compulsively have to order things in rainbow order. I even repeat the rainbow colours in my head when I feel anxious.
6. I stood next to Jamie Oliver at the BBC Good Food show once. He was a lot taller than I imagined.
7. I never know what to get Brian for Christmas or his birthday. I’m so rubbish at knowing what he’d like. He usually ends up returning whatever I get. I feel guilty about this because he always gets me EPIC presents!
8. I am a qualified Nail Technician.
9. I think the pop group Aqua were ridiculously underrated!
10. Whenever we go somewhere coastal, whether on holiday or just for the day, I like to get one of those postcards that has a map of that area of coast on it. One day I would like to have them all!
11. I think that The Great British Bake Off has sadly had its day. I think it has become a victim of its own success.
My chosen blogs-
( http://jenerallyspeaking.typepad.com )
( http://bunnymummy-jacquie.blogspot.com/ )
( http://colorncream.blogspot.ca/ )
plus 3 crochet
( http://plus3crochet.blogspot.com/ )
( http://pinkmilkjewels.blogspot.com/ )
And my eleven questions for them are as follows!
1. What is your earliest childhood memory?
2. What are your current WIPs?
3. If you could only choose one craft to do from now on, what would it be? Choose what your heart says, not what would nessecarily be most practical!
4. What is your favourite thing to cook/bake?
5. If you could press a pause button on your ‘mundane’ life for one whole year (in which time you wouldn’t miss out on your kids growing, or lose your job etc), what would you chose to do with that year?
6. Who inspires you?
7. What is your dream profession?
8. Who are your favourite book characters?
9. What is your perfect day out?
10. What is your favourite colour combination?
11. What keeps you blogging?
I really hope you enjoy creating your own Leibster post my darlings!
See you soon y’all!! :)